AM790 WNIS IS PROUD TO BE THE EXCLUSIVE HOME FOR VIRGINIA TECH'S HOKIES IN THE 757!
|NC State||Saturday, Sept 26||TBA||Blacksburg, VA|
|Duke||Saturday, Oct 3||TBA||Durham, VA|
|North Carolina||Friday, Oct 10||TBA||Chapel Hill, NC|
|Boston College||Saturday, Oct 17||TBA||Blacksburg, VA|
|Wake Forest||Saturday, Oct 24||TBA||Winstom-Salem, NC|
|Louisville||Saturday, Oct 31||TBA||Louisville, KY|
|Liberty||Saturday, Nov7||TBA||Blacksburg, VA|
|Miami||Saturday, Nov 14||TBA||Blacksburg, VA|
|Pitt||Saturday, Nov 21||TBA||Pittsburgh, PA|
|Clemson||Saturday, Dec 5||TBA||Blacksburg, VA|
|UVA||Saturday, Dec 12||TBA||Blacksburg, VA|
About Coach Justin Fuente
Named Virginia Tech’s head coach on Nov. 29, 2015 after orchestrating one of the more dramatic program resurrections in recent college football history at Memphis. The Hokies enter their third season under Fuente in 2018, who has compiled a 19-8 record in Blacksburg, the most wins by any Tech coach in his first two campaigns. Georgia Tech’s Paul Johnson is the only other active ACC head coach who can boast as many victories in his first two seasons at a conference school than Fuente (19). With 19 wins in his first two seasons at Tech, Fuente owns more victories than every Tech coach has accumulated in his first three seasons with the exception of B.C. Cubbage, who guided the program to 21 victories from 1921-23. The Hokies have finished back-to-back seasons in the final AP Poll for the first time since 2010-11. The Hokies will be seeking to conclude three straight seasons in the AP Top 25 for the first time since doing it eight consecutive years under Frank Beamer (2004-11). Fuente is one of only six FBS head coaches to register nine or more wins each of the past four seasons. Tech concluded the 2017 season with a 9-4 mark, finishing the year No. 24 in the AP Top 25 and No. 25 in the Amway USA Today Coaches Poll. Tech extended its streak of consecutive bowl appearances to 25 straight seasons in 2017 under Fuente, the longest active streak recognized by the NCAA. Should Tech earn its 26th straight bowl berth in 2018, that mark that would give VT sole possession of the third-longest streak in NCAA history. The Hokies have won 14 consecutive Commonwealth Cup games over Virginia, including both matchups under Fuente. Tech has won 17 consecutive games during Fuente’s tenure when leading at halftime. VT owns a 6-1 mark under Fuente in games immediately following a loss. Fuente’s well-deserved reputation for his work with quarterbacks became apparent once again in 2017 as QB Josh Jackson orchestrated the most prolific season of any freshman in Tech history.
[cited from hokiesports.com]
Virginia Tech Football Fun Facts
- AM790 WNIS has been airing Virginia Tech Football since 1988
- First season started in 1892
- With 25 consecutive bowl appearances, beginning in 1993, the Hokies currently have the longest bowl game streak in the country recognized by the NCAA.
- Lane Stadium is considered to be one of the loudest stadiums in the country, being voted number one in ESPN’s “Top 20 Scariest Places to Play”.
- Virginia Tech has had two players be picked as the first overall pick for the NFL draft. In 1985 Bruce Smith was picked first overall to the Buffalo Bills. In 2001 Michael Vick was picked first overall to the Atlanta Falcons.
- Metallica’s song, “Enter Sandman” has been used for the Hokie team entrance song since 2000.
- In the 1890s, a student named O.M. Stull, Class of 1896, won a $5 prize for coming up with a new spirit cheer, now known as “Old Hokie.” The original went: “Hoki, Hoki, Hoki, Hy. Techs, Techs, V.P.I. Sola-Rex, Sola-Rah. Polytechs – Vir-gin-ia. Rae, Ri, V.P.I.” Later, an “e” was added to “Hoki” to make “Hokie,” and “Team! Team! Team!” was attached to the end.